Asking intelligent questions is a mark of an intelligent mind. An enquiring, active mind will always seek answers to a plethora of questions. At SMS College, we often gauge students by the sort of questions they seek to be answered.
Learning does not take place with only one sided questions from the teachers to the students. Students in turn, have to ask ample questions, only then they are able to exhibit that they are imbibing well the course material being taught. A healthy interaction between teachers and students is the key to a strong foundation of knowledge.
SMS College encourages its students to not fear asking questions. The college does not instil the feeling of inhibition with the teachers, rather pushes students to flaunt their concerns/problems/doubts and actively seek solutions to those.
At SMS College we provide a platform where the students can give wings to their inquisitiveness, their curiosity and participate in this joint project of construing a healthy mind. It enhances learning at the campus as well as displays better performance by the students. Asking questions and having them answered develops a sense of confidence among the students. However, a rule to follow- never flaunt your questions to demonstrate better hold of your knowledge, or fear asking questions in the midst of more knowledgeable people.
A few tips from the faculty at SMS College:
- Have clarity while asking questions. Never ask questions when your mind is hazy or cloudy. You should be actively seeking a solution to a problem you’ve encountered. You should be listening well before trying to seek answers to a specific point. If you’ve missed out on certain bits of conversation or aren’t paying attention, then asking a question will not exhibit intelligence on your part.
- Try and gauge the mind of your listener before asking a question to ensure that the answer you get is what you would actually want, and not a disinterested reply.
- Do not be tempted to answer one of your own questions. With an incorrect answer, you would be demonstrating a lack of understanding. Why ask a question, if you want to answer it yourself.
- Ask questions with efficacy of communication. Nobody is perfect in language and communication but practice these skills well specially when interacting with an audience. It is very easy to misunderstand another person and to be misunderstood. Explain yourself thoroughly and paraphrase the answer to make sure you understood it correctly.
- If the issue is an important one, write a confirming letter or an email or send an SMS to the person you spoke to, restating your question and the answer. In every case make notes of your conversations, including the date and the name of the individual who spoke with you. This will help you improve your communication skills.