Robotics deals with the design, construction, operation, and application of robots coupled with computer systems for their control, sensory feedback, and information processing.ery often the design of a given robotic system brings together principles of electronic engineering, mechanical engineering and computer science (artificial intelligence in particular).The robotics industry also employs a whole platoon of support staff, like testers, programmers and operators. While positions vary, some skills can be called a must for the people working in the industry. Staff, for example, need be mechanically sound. Proficiency in mathematics and physics will be helpful for the job, so does a Good knowledge of the principles involved in the field. Many in the industry also utilize vivid imagination and get solutions and also those who have tactile abilities to help with their work.
Robotics engineer do :
• Design ROBOTS
• Research work on robotics applications in various fields.
• Assist engineers in the design and application of robot systems
• Inspect electronic components involved in production of robot’
• Test robots for defects after manufacturer’s assembly
• Install robots or robot systems where required
• Install robot safety systems
• Provide assistance to users, including fine robots
• Program robot for series of moves manually or by electronic instructions to a microprocessor or by setting up kinetic suits
• Modify computer-controlled motion of robots
• Trouble shoot to determine robot malfunctions, using knowledge of microprocessors, programmable controllers, electronics, circuit analysis, mechanics, hydraulics, and pneumatics
• Disassemble robots and/or peripheral equipment like circuit boards, sensors, controllers, encoders, servomotors, servo valves, or automatic lubrication systems
• Reassemble robots
• Train other technicians to operate, program, repair, and service robots
• Keep records of test procedures and results, service schedules, repairs, etc.
Opportunities in Robotics in India
Industries across a range of sectors such as automotive, atomic energy, defence, space, metals, textiles and manufacturing use Robotic technologies very extensively. obots are required everywhere to improve productivity. They are also being used in operation theatres and rehabilitation centres to augment the quality of life. Developed countries like Japan and America have been using robots to clean rooms, entertain etc. It is an ever growing field and many avenues have opened up in recent past. Therefore students who have the required skill sets will be favoured by such industries.The automation industry is a big consumer of Robotic technology. Using such technology, the quality of products and processes improve considerably.
Education qualification : Having B.tech/B.E/MCA/M.Tech degree a candidate can join robotics courses. Also there are various courses are running in different universities. You can find it below:
- M.S. University, Baroda, conducts a master’s programme with specialization in automation control and robotics.
- The Institute of Technology under the Banaras Hindu University conducts M.Tech. Production
- The Centre for Robotics and Mechatronics at IIT-Kanpur offers a master’s programme in Robotics Engineering.
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata – 700032, offers M.E. Robotics.
- The University of Hyderabad offers M.Tech. in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics.
- University College of Engineering under Osmania University, Hyderabad, offers M.E. / M.Tech. In Automation and Robotics.
- SASTRA, Thanjavur, affiliated to Bharatidasan University, offers a course in artificial intelligence at the Bachelor of Engineering degree-level.
- The Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani – 333031, offers M.E. in Computer Science with robotics as a subject.
- Engineering/ Industrial Management Engineering with Robotics and Automation as electives.
Thapur Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala- 147004, conducts M.E. in CAD/ CAM and Robotics.
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning Prasanthi Nilayam offers M.Tech. Computer Science with specialisation in artificial intelligence. It is closely associated with robotics.
PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore, conducts M.Tech. Mechanical with robotics as an elective subject.
- SRM institute of Science and Technology, Kattankulathur, Kancheepuram district, offers M.Tech. Robotics.
- The Department of Electronics under the Cochin University of Science and Technology offers M.Sc. Electronic Science with specialization in artificial intelligence, robotics, microwave electronics and computer technology. First-class B.Sc. degree holders with not less than 60 per cent aggregate marks in electronics / computer science / physics (with electronics) are eligible for admission. Selection is based on CUSAT-CAT.