Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation:
If you have not taken any CAT paper so far you will have to start from scratch. At the same time rigorous and continuous effort really pays off in this section. The best way to begin is to set aside a fixed number of hours each day (or every week if you don’t want to be so rigid in your schedule) for attempting DI problems. There are a few things you can pay special attention to while working on this section:
1. Spend ample time on analyzing the solutions. In fact you we often spent more time reviewing solutions than we did while solving problems. Pay special attention to how the information is represented in a more readable and analyzable form through tables etc. This is particularly crucial in solving problems where all the information is just written in the form of a simple, continuous piece of text.
2. Learn to identify the problems in a set which could have been solved by using just a couple of lines of information from the whole paragraph. This ability proves very critical in tackling a tough DI set or when you are running out of time
3. Some problems tend to be very calculation intensive. In most cases making rough assumptions and rounding off gives us the correct answers. Herein the knack of simplifying ugly looking fractions, calculating percentages easily, etc comes in handy. Even if you are not good at calculation you start attempting these problems in the end. But if your calculations skills are good you can rely on this section to fetch good marks..
Small shortcuts remain very handy in simplifying things.
Recommended Books for this section:
- A Good book for DI – How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for the CAT Common Admission Test 1st Edition (Paperback) by Arun Sharma Publisher: Tata McGraw-Hill
- A Good book for LR – How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT Common Admission Test by Arun Sharma Publisher: Tata McGraw-Hill
- The Pearson Guide To Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT 1st Edition (Paperback) by Nishit K. Sinha. Publisher: Pearson.
- You may also refer Mr. R.S.Agrawal Books.
to be continued….